News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Music, History, and Pie

Started by gharshman, September 12, 2015, 11:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Yesterday, I led a group ride up to Tuscumbia, Alabama, to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.  I've lived in northern Alabama for 10 years and had never visited, so I figured it was about time.

Alabama has many things in it's history which are despicable, no doubt.  But out of great misery and poverty have come some truly talented musicians and sound engineers.  Here is a brief sampling of the history and items found in the museum.

Percy Sledge

Alabama (the band)

Ray Sawyer, aka Dr. Hook

Afterwards, we ate lunch at Stephano's Southland, where I bought everybody a piece of pie.  Every time I lead a group ride, I do that.  My ride series is called "Ride for Pie".  This ride was number five.  I do about three of them per year.

From lunch, we rode along the Tennessee River over to Melton's Bluff.  It's very remote and has an eerie, ghost town feel.  They were notified in advance, but it was great to see the big touring bikes willingly ride the last 1/2 mile, which was a dirt drive with some mud in places.  Not too challenging, but many will not do it.  All of my friends took the challenge with gusto.

All in all, it was a great day to ride with friends!

Lawrence County Park and Melton Bluff

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

"Yesterday, I led a group ride up to Tuscumbia, Alabama, to the Alabama Music Hall of Fame."

We did this ride yesterday???  WOW time really flies.  It feels like it's been 5 - 6 months since I went on this ride.

Nice Goat

The older I get, the less time seems to matter...    :D

My Dog Ziggy

Do you have any more rides planned for this fall?

Nice Goat

Yes, planning a ride soon.  Most likely in October.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Bluesman

Very nice.Wish I could have made that one.I remember Tommy Shaw when he was playing at the bowling alley here.