News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

4th annual Bama VTX Riders Tech Session April 30-31

Started by hawkvtx, March 19, 2016, 10:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

hawkvtx

Below is the post I made over on the VTX forums for our annual tech session. It is primarily for Honda VTX 1300 and 1800 bikes however if you have a different ride and need some help with an issue I'm sure I can get someone there that can help you with it. I know there are several VTX riders here at BR that don't belong to either of the other VTX forums so you guys are particularly invited to come by.

Here's the post:

I've nailed down the best possible date for the Tech Session this year and it will be the weekend of April 30th and 31st. I had one scheduling conflict with Barry and Pam. Barry needs seals but we'll be doing that long before this date anyway so as best as I can tell everyone else should be available.
For anyone that needs work done please post up and state what it is you're looking to get accomplished whether it be seals or bearings or whatever. Keep in mind that valve adjustments require a cold bike so allow time for your bike to sit a minimum of 4-5 hours to cool. Overnight is best. You can't just ride in and do valves and ride away. It's also important to make sure that you have any parts and fluids before hand and importantly, if you're not sure what you'll need let's get that squared away asap. Most parts that we normally do such as stem bearings can be ordered and shipped within a few days but don't wait until the last minute.
For those of you that have attended in the past you know the drill. For those that have not attended keep in mind that this is a tech session and not a party. We always have a lot of fun but it is generally very busy and we try to get as much done as possible in a very short time. So if you wanna come and don't have any work to be done then please do. You can watch, pitch in, hang out or whatever but don't be disappointed if everyone's not standing around drinking beer. (not that there won't be any beer on hand).
. I have most any tool required to do most jobs and Nathan usually brings a few along as well. However there are some things I'm not equipped for so again let me know here what you have in mind to get done and I'll know if we can do it or not. This event is mainly for general maintenance and mods but I don't have any fabrication capability.

The event will be at my place.
412 Cherokee Rd
Scottsboro AL 35769
The location is easily Googled and if you need my cell number just send me a pm and I'll get that to you.

We usually start out Saturday morning at 8am with breakfast at the Western Sizzler in Scottsboro (also easily Googled) and then get started. I'll have coffee, soft drinks and beer on hand but if you wanna bring something that's fine too. So that's about it, looking forward to seeing everyone again and making some new friends as well. Make sure to post up if you're coming and what work you'll need done. Post up also if you're coming just to be there because you're more than welcome. If you're coming from far away and need accommodations for the night post that up as well and I can help you with that too.
So there ya go...be there or be square!!
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

jrobinson

Flyby

Would Like to make it to this one.  Missed last year.  I know I have to redo my bearings.  Will have to see if there is anything else I can think of.

hawkvtx

Right you are Johnnie. 4-30/5-1

Flyby, get those bearings ordered and on the way. If you haven't already switched to progressive springs and if you want to,  this would be a good time to get that done too. While that front end is taken apart.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Flyby

Hawk I had them last year planing on going then and work popped up.  I do not have the springs.  Might have to just do the bearings this time and look at those next.  is there anything else that I need to get before then?

hawkvtx

If you have the AllBalls bearing kit it should have everything in it. The bearings, races and seals. If you haven't flushed your forks in a while might be a good idea to do that. You'll need (2) 16oz bottles of fork oil. Most folks use 10 wt.  If there's anything else you think of that needs doing let me know before hand.
Look forward to seeing you again, it's been a while.

That being said, if there's anyone else out there that needs some help with something ( especially you VTX guys and gals) be sure and post up and if I don't know how to help I'm sure we can round someone up that does.
This is coming up pretty fast , weekend after next, so let me know as soon as you can if your coming and need some work or just coming to hang out for a while.

Thanks
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Flyby

Thanks Hawk.  Been too long.  Work has me travailing a good bit but it looks like I will be in town that weekend.  Will be good ta catch up.  Need to make it to one of the rides at some point.  All I get in now days is just to and from work every so often.

hawkvtx

Last bump  for this. Next weekend folks. If you're coming post up here.
So far I don't think we have too much to do. Got one that needs valves adjusted and one 1300 getting new bearings installed. I think Nathan's going to bring the ST up to put bearing in it as well. So we have some room if anyone else needs something done.
Depending on time I'm going to put new seals in my 1800 and adjust the steering bearings. So if you would like to see how to install fork seals come on by.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Well It looks like we'll end up having a pretty full day.
Flyby from the Bama Rides forum is getting bearings on his 1300
Battles06 bearings on his ST1300
Roadtrip from the VTXOA is needing his clutch fluid changed on his 1800
Mrs Roadtrip valve check on her 1300
HiramSaint valve check on his 1300
Fork seals and steering adjustment on my 1800.
Time permitting I'm going to see about doing a steering adjustment on RoadTrips 1800 too. I noticed a few weeks ago when we were doing his fork seals that his steering was a little loose.
So anyone that want's to come by and see how any of these procedures are done or would like to lend a hand feel free to drop by.

This weekend 4-30 and 5-1. Most of the work will be done by Saturday evening and might have to finish up a couple of things on Sunday so Saturday will be the best day to come by.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Flyby

Right now I am still planing on being there.  What time are we meeting Saturday morning?   

hawkvtx

We'll meet at the Western Sizzlin in Scottsboro on 72 for breakfast at 8am. Probably start working around 9. Meet us for breakfast if you can , if not just come on over to my place as soon as you can.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Flyby

Well just left the doctor and I have walking pneumonia so I will be missing it yet again this year.   Hope yall have fun while I lay on the couch all weekend. :-\.  I have had the all ball bearings since last years event that I missed.  one day I will get it done. 

hawkvtx

too bad. Let me know when you get to feeling better and have some time. We'll get them installed for you.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Here's a few pics from the tech session.
Flyby, get in touch with me in a week or two and we'll get those bearings installed for you. There's another fellow that now wants to go his so we'll do both bikes at the same time.

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500