News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What's up with Triumph?

Started by klaviator, March 23, 2016, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I recently found out that Freedom Powersports in Huntsville dropped Triumph, or maybe Triumph dropped them.  A couple of years ago Allsports and several other dealers in the Southeast dropped Triumph.  Recently I read something, I think on FB that Pandora's had very little Triumph stuff.  I'm curious about what's going on here.

Triumph, IMO, makes some great bikes but Triumph USA seems to do their best to screw things up.  I'm wondering if that is what's happening now or is it just that Triumph's aren't selling.

Are there any Triumph dealers left in Alabama?

Anyone have any insight on this subject?

KevinB

Well crap...and I was leaning toward selling the Terra and getting a Bonneville.

Nice Goat

Quote from: KevinB on March 23, 2016, 11:51:41 AM
Well crap...and I was leaning toward selling the Terra and getting a Bonneville.

I can't tell if you are joking or not.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

I was considering a Tiger 800 a couple of years ago but when Allsport dropped Triumph I dropped that idea. 

I heard that Freedom Powersports had a fire sale on their remaining Triumphs.  I don't know if they have any left. 

I was talking to Steve at Allsport last week .  It sounded like he MIGHT take Triumph back but only on his terms.  I think Triumph lost out when they pushed Allsport into dropping them by making ridiculous demands.  Allsports was selling 70-80 Triumphs a year.

KDXfile

I'm not sure what's up but they're a great bike. I bought mine in Georgia a few years ago right after the B'ham dealer folded.
I've heard they're pretty demanding about the dealer carrying all the clothing and accessory stuff with a dedicated area for display.

Nice Goat

Quote from: KDXfile on March 23, 2016, 02:30:03 PM
I'm not sure what's up but they're a great bike. I bought mine in Georgia a few years ago right after the B'ham dealer folded.
I've heard they're pretty demanding about the dealer carrying all the clothing and accessory stuff with a dedicated area for display.

That's a popular school of marketing thought based on "Field of Dreams" .... build it and they will come.  The whole "boutique" dealer thing worked for Harley because (a) they already had the largest market share, and (b) they were really the only American bike manufacturer at the time they created this nationwide carpet-bombing of boutiques.  Triumph has a good product but they have very low market share and they cannot tap into American pride.  Forcing dealers to create expensive boutique showrooms is unreasonable in Triumph's case.  Harley derives most of it's profits from clothing and accessories, so it is natural that Triumph would want the same thing, but they have not built the base market share to justify it.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 23, 2016, 12:19:04 PM

Nope,  not joking. 

KDXfile

I'd kinda like to trade something and get the new Street Twin; it's like a basic no-frills bonneville.

SpeedyR

Triumph does have some great bikes but they are loosing dealerships all over. IMHO as long as there's one solid dealer in an area that's really all you need but you do need to ahve at least one!

As others mention they are trying to create boutique shops for the triumph dealers and trying to get them to purchase lots of parts and accessories. Ducati is the same way as in BMW. and of course Harley. :)

also forcing a shop to purchase units that it will have a hard time selling doesn't help anyone as well but not sure if they are at that point yet either.

hopefully they'll fix things. I know in Atlanta there used to be a few good dealers, but now the only one that I know of is Freewheelin on the west side of town (closer to B'ham). We bought my wifes Street Triple R there a few years ago. good experience, might be worth a call if you want a triumph.

maydaymike

Quote from: KevinB on March 23, 2016, 04:59:52 PM

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 23, 2016, 12:19:04 PM

Nope,  not joking. 

It's too early to tell with the new Bonneville/Street Twin line, but the 2001-2015 air cooled bikes are pretty much bulletproof.  No dealer support required.
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

klaviator

They won't sell many bikes without dealers.  Also, not everyone cares for the "boutique" dealers.  I have always had better luck with small to midsize locally owned dealers which tend to be overcrowded and look like real motorcycle shops, not fancy high end boutiques.  I equate "boutique" with overpriced.  If Triumph ever wants to sell me a bike they will have to re-think their strategy. 

norton73

A friend has a multiline dealership up in MD. He carried Triumph for a while in the late 90's but dropped it about 2001. The japanese manufactorers offer rebates to the dealers when bikes on the floor get out of date or when there is a signifigant update to a existing model. Triumph wasn't doing that, and as an added insult, lowered MSRP on a few models making the leftover previous year bikes costing more than the new ones. He still had 1996 models in the crate as late as 2008.

With the new Bonnevilles coming out, Triumph is going to have to offer big rebates to move any older ones. Based on past history, I bet they aren't.

A lot of the manufactorers want the dealers to have their bikes in a separate building or at least a separate room. Most dealers can't do that and as Triumph doesn't offer the full line of bikes that Honda, etc, does, they need to understand they are a niche market, not mainstream. Any Triumph, Ducati, BMW, or Moto Guzzi dealer is going to need to have another line or two as the real money maker.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

Quote from: maydaymike on March 24, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
It's too early to tell with the new Bonneville/Street Twin line, but the 2001-2015 air cooled bikes are pretty much bulletproof.  No dealer support required.

If I got one, it would be a black SE model...I've almost talked myself into one several times over the last few years.

Yankee Dog

I love Triumph. I have owned six of them and over the years.  But I have to say I am hard pressed to buy one with no dealer in the area.  I went through that with BMW.  It was. PIA.  Of course my Trumpets have not given me the trouble my Beemer did.  But still, its nice to have a dealer in the area just in case. 

Shepcam

I would be very hesitant to buy a NEW bike with the nearest dealer 2 or 3 hours away. What a complete PITA if you had to load up and drive that far if you needed warranty service  :o
2013 Kawasaki Concours