Need Some Feedback..2006 V Strom 1000

Started by TFancher, March 24, 2016, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFancher

Im looking at a '06 V Strom 1000. Anybody got any words of wisdom? Looking for a long distance ADV bike.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chitza

My advice?

BUY IT!!!! Ride it. Don't look back.

I had the 650. Not sure I will ever love another bike as much as that one.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

I have ridden both the 1000 and 650.  My advice would be to buy the 650. 

Having said that, the 1000 is a good bike and a lot of bang for the buck.  It is not really designed for off road but I did go on a dual sport ride where one of the riders was on a 1000 2 up :o  I was pretty impressed. 

Chitza

Yeah, there is that. They guy who bought my 650 had a 1000 in the garage. He wanted the 650 for the mpg and commuting. He says he rarely rides the 1000 anymore.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

TFancher

I've got the KLR for anything too serious. Really looking for something that I can cover a lot of ground and also take down a dirt road if the need arises. I WANT an Africa Twin, but I don't see that in my immediate future. This will kinda be my first delve into the big adventure bike genre. Buy it, ride it ,, then sell it if it doesn't suit me. Hell I think I might have just talked myself into it!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

jrobinson

Just stay off the Trace and you should be fine.  8)

springer

I can tell you from helping Don Redman, adjusting  the valves on one is a PITA.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

TFancher

Quote from: TFancher on March 24, 2016, 12:27:41 PM
I've got the KLR for anything too serious. Really looking for something that I can cover a lot of ground FAST and also take down a dirt road if the need arises.

That's really what I meant to say JR.

Nice Goat

Quote from: jrobinson on March 24, 2016, 01:16:58 PM

Hahahahaha!!  Yeah, and don't get my bike impounded!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

polarissalesman

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 24, 2016, 05:25:02 PM

Quote from: jrobinson on March 24, 2016, 01:16:58 PM

Hahahahaha!!  Yeah, and don't get my bike impounded!

Still can't believe that ya'll didn't get thrown under the jail.....
"keep the rubber side down"

DachshundUberAlles

I took one for an extended ride one day. Loved the power of the thing. I'd buy the Yamaha Super Tenere, but that's because I'd rather have a shaft drive. From what I've read on them, from 2007 up are the ones to get, but if it's well priced, I guess it would be OK.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Yankee Dog

Gam

I've had a 1000 and a 650, I like the 650 much more than the 1000. I rode the 650 to Utah, it was comfortable and has all the grunt you need, and more agile than the 1000, but strong wind really seems to get under the snout of that bike, it can be a little unnerving. I adjusted the valves on both bikes, twin cylinders with bucket shims, so yeah, it's a pain. While I rode plenty of dirt on both bikes, they are  street bikes in my opinion, just not enough suspension in the front.

Oh yeah, I think it was cured by 2006, but my 2004 dl1000, had the "cough" or the "stutter", sometimes at low rpms the engine would stumble, never went dead on me, but it's no fun when happens in the middle of turning left at an intersection. . People were putting power commanders on, adjusting throttle bodies, all sorts of stuff, don't know if the cause was ever figured out or not.

DachshundUberAlles

The TL suffered the same glitch. The easiest "cure", as it was explained to me, was to simply not baby it at the initial get go. Doing such, I never experienced any hiccups. As far as shaft drive opinions, I have had bikes with all three (chain, belt, shaft) configurations, never had an issue at any time, though I understand that in the motorcycle world, proclaiming you like something must always be challenged.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Sagebrush

The older DL1000 when stock was very lean, they need a good fuel map to run great. The lean stumble is when your lugging it below 4,000 rpm. With a power commander they can be easily tweaked to run great, mine pulls from 2500 rpm just fine. But, the power comes on the curve after 4K, you can cruise at 3500 though, but its below the torque curve and you won't gain fuel mileage. My best economy is between 4000 and 4500 rpm. The 996cc twin is not low revving, its like my KTM 950, its a high rpm machine. They cruise in 6th at 80 mph indicated at 4500 rpm. I bought one a few years ago as a beater, fixer upper. It ended up being one of my favorite bikes, I ride it anywhere now. Its all set up to my liking, its my go anywhere touring machine. I do lots of moto camping off it.

There are a few DL1000 over 200,000 miles and at least a couple made it well past 300,000 so the mechanicals are durable. I have a 2006 DL1000 and it only has 40K on it now, it sat around a lot, previously owned by a guy in the Army. I guess I put about a thousand dollars in mine, it had a fuel leak between the fuel injectors at a little rubber hose and leaky forks and the biggie, a weak charging system I noticed well after the sale. The guy had two 60 watt driving lights on it!

Very good idea to make sure the bikes are charging at 13.8/14.0 hot, once they drop to 13.7 at the battery you need to see why. Sometimes the magnets inside the fly wheel move, but its easy to tell. Just do a running voltage check. There are some DL1000s around with no issues at all for cheap prices.

I did a full service and added the usual farkles. Mine was almost completely stock, so I did the Givi engine guards, the big skid plate, tall handle bar with barkbusters, madstad windshield brackets, 22" madstad shield, tusk pannniers etc. With all my add ons its still budget friendly and I like how it handles. I paid $3700 for mine a few years ago with 26K on it. It needed a valve adjustment, my exhausts valves were tight.

The V-Stroms run a head light interrupter through the starter switch. Its a very good idea to install head light relays since Suzuki failed to do it right. The starter/head lamp circuit is not designed well and can cause a few issues in time. I ignored the warnings on the forums and it bit me, melted connector and a shorted out starter switch/button. Most guys add the eastern beaver head light relay kit, good question to ask when your looking at buying a 650 or 1000.

The bikes are generally very reliable though. I really like my DL1000, it has enough power to pass while loaded and enough to be fun for me. With my upgraded suspension and all the mods, I'm very happy with my old beater. I have no desire to change for a long time, it fits, works well on the rough narrow country roads around here. I live on a dirt road too, so I like ADV bikes for the mild dirt ability and suspension travel.