Need Some Feedback..2006 V Strom 1000

Started by TFancher, March 24, 2016, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrappyjon

I really like mine a lot tony. If you want to come test mine out you're welcome to. The 650 really doesn't weigh that much less than the 1000. I think it's like 50 lbs tops. It's not that big of a deal but people do say they prefer the 650. I like the 1000 because I do a lot of two up riding packed for a week. But seriously, hit me up if you want to take mine out for a day or so. It has new tires, brakes brake fluid and air filter. The air filter is a pain in the ass to change. You basically have to take the whole front of the bike apart. Any of the big adv bikes are like that. They all have something that's damn near impossible to get to.

scrappyjon

I've also done a lot of off road riding on mine.  It's fine for what I've done but I don't have anything to compare it to because that's the only bike other than a KLR I've taken off road. I once got lost in the Mojave desert 2 up on one.

This was my friends that I borrowed.

TFancher

Well the deed is done. 2012 Suzuki DL 1000 Adventure. 4668 miles. Darn near new. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and I can't stop grinning.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

terryrussell1

scrappyjon

Chitza

I'm grinning with you, T!!! Congratulations!!!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

TFancher

Quote from: scrappyjon on April 02, 2016, 09:11:39 PM
It's a face only a mother could love.
It's growing on me. Kinda like the homely girl at work. After a while she starts looking pretty hot.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Brian A

I just smiled.

I will see it in Key West soon.

:)

Al Goodwin

Quote from: TFancher on April 02, 2016, 07:57:21 PM
Well the deed is done. 2012 Suzuki DL 1000 Adventure. 4668 miles. Darn near new. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and I can't stop grinning.

Can't wait to see it like THIS !!!!!  Ha....CONGRATULATIONS

lazeebum

Nice! Is it gonna be the one you bring to the Free State ride?

TFancher

Maybe. I'm trying to get my son to come with me and ride the KLR.

Sagebrush

I wish mine was a black! The 2012 DL1000 is probably the best of the generation, check and see if it has the latest ECM in it. Suzuki sorted out the fuel injection better in 2012 I think, previous years were way lean. Left stock the 12 can see good fuel economy, well at least for a Strom.

For air filter changes I just loosen the fairing and engine guards, remove the tank with some wiggling. You lift the rear first and use the prop thing, then disconnect the fuel line and electrical, then pull the front pivot shaft thing and remove the tank. Its easier than it sounds, just do it when the tank is half full or less. Just be gentle and you can lift the tank off without pulling the fairing. Maybe make a wood stick for a spreader, that helps, or an extra set of hands. Guys that ride off road get really good at the quick and dirty tank removal method. There is tons of info on the web, the Stroms are well supported with lots of tech articles.

I would add head light relays or a HID system now if its stock, that saves the starter switch. The Madstad brackets and shield were well worth it for me, having an adjustable large shield lets you put the air where you like it. I love my Seat Concepts saddle kit, much better than the gel seat I was using. $169 or so, really good deal for such comfort.

Have fun, I love mine. I've had a few "cool" bikes but the DL1000 is a keeper. I just put GL1800 pegs on mine yesterday, more comfy now. A bit more leg room, larger peg, but thinner.

:)

TFancher

Sagebrush did you have any trouble retrofitting the soloboxes? I've got a new set on my KLR but I'm gonna put them on the DL. Looks like a pretty easy fix. I want to be able to switch between the two bikes with minimal trouble.

Chitza

Tony, I donated a set of side case racks for a vstrom 650 to the vintage trailer. I don't know if they are still there or not, but I can look for you if they will fit the 1000(???) They were
never used and with all the hardware.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

scrappyjon

Quote from: Chitza on April 08, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
Tony, I donated a set of side case racks for a vstrom 650 to the vintage trailer. I don't know if they are still there or not, but I can look for you if they will fit the 1000(???) They were
never used and with all the hardware.

I don't think they'll fit. Both sides of the 1000 are the same because of the dual exhaust. The wee only has the one pipe.

I could be wrong though. Would be worth a try.