Bham - LRC - Sauta Cave to watch the bats fly?

Started by kylepeterson, June 30, 2016, 12:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylepeterson

anyone interested in a short ride from Birmingham up through little river canyon (including that one really steep hill) with the pinnacle being a swirl of 250,000 bats emerging from their cave at dusk?

Google me for more info:
sauta cave
little river canyon
and this point N 34.29788° , W 085.70224° (the steep hill)

260 miles round trip, starting at the pump house on rex lake road. we will want to arrive before dusk to see the bats, yes this means riding home at night. i have no plans for fancy eateries, that's why i dropped it in let's ride instead of planned.

pace: totally not in a hurry
route: attached
bike: the coolest one you have

interest?

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

bblass

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Guidedawg

I have taken my daughters there (not on the motorcycle) for the past 2 years and we have all enjoyed it.

We chose to move from the platform into the mouth of the cave.  If you do so, make sure to have a hat and jacket or hooded rain coat, etc.

It's a very cool experience.

Slede

was this today or are you looking for interest because I am.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Guidedawg on June 30, 2016, 01:41:36 PM
I have taken my daughters there (not on the motorcycle) for the past 2 years and we have all enjoyed it.

We chose to move from the platform into the mouth of the cave.  If you do so, make sure to have a hat and jacket or hooded rain coat, etc.

It's a very cool experience.

good info- I'll take a garbage bag and make a poncho... asking with baby wipes.

I'm thinking someone in the next month. preferably on a Friday night.

JBMFT

LawnmowerRG

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kbishop

I am interested. My son may ride with me (on my KLR) and we may camp and ride more in the area the next day or 2.

kbishop

is there a date for this? I don't see it in the thread. But I have been stupid before.

IceCold4x4

I'm down as well. any idea on a date or time?

TwoLaneBlackTop

interested. Sounds like a good ride.

TwoLaneBlackTop

There seems to be a lot of interest in this ride and the originator of the post said "some time in the next month" over two months ago. I say those of us intersted set a date and take off. Like first Friday evening after Labor Day weekend. What say the rest of the interested parties?

TwoLaneBlackTop

Or Saturday if it's more convenient. My i phone won't let me modify posts. Anyways next Friday or Saturday for the bats. What say you?