RFP #12 - Oakmulgee Dual Sport Weekend

Started by gharshman, February 16, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

kdtrull

Sounds great.  Endentured servitude sucks.   It's all whitey trying to hold the fat man down!
Keep hope alive and have fun.  Catch up in Tellico.

Quote from: Nice Goat on February 16, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Camping, telling lies, calling names, and generally having a good time.

I plan to leave work early on Friday, March 24th and ride my KLR down to Paul Grist State Park.  They have plenty of tent camping space and a bathhouse with showers.  Expect to pay about $13/night for camping.

Must have a license plate to ride in the Talladega National Forest.  I will be on my KLR650, so I'm planning to stay on the approved roads.  More details as we get closer.

Nice Goat

Might have to plan more street on this ride.  Trying to do a pre-ride today in the NF, and I'm finding a lot of this...

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Thanks to Kyle, we are going to have two rides on Saturday.  I'll lead a mostly street ride to see some historic stuff like Old Cahawba.  Kyle will lead the dirt ride.  Fair warning though: the dirt ride may not be very ADV-bike friendly.  All the rain brought the trucks out in the last six weeks...

Nice Goat

Dropped off a small load of firewood today at the campsite.

kylepeterson

(thanks glenn!)

If you're considering the dirty ride, here's a heads-up. This will NOT be a nasty/gnarly/hard ride ! I'm planning to PLAY on gravel roads, along Glenns predetermined route, stopping to smell the cow pies (flowers?), take whatever side-track you happen to spot, and cruise (20-45ish) along, with very little hell-bent intent of speed (if any) along the way. Think of it as riding elephants through grandpas pasture, but these elephants vibrate and weigh a little bit less.

If we encounter ANYTHING (yes, even a scary shadow) along the way that one of you doesn't want to tackle, no big deal, we'll just go around it on roads or whatever. I won't call you chicken until we get to camp and you're asleep... which can't happen anyway cause I'm always the first one out.

If you all say you just wanna do the street ride, that's cool, I'll bring the drz and make you smell stinky 4T oil (instead of lovely 2T oil) the whole way ;-) as a punishment. ;-)

Nice Goat

The last four days have been warm and dry, and it looks like the next four days will be the same.  I expect that a lot of the mud will have dried by Saturday.  There is a chance of rain on Saturday, but it is less than 50% right now.

I'll have a street route prepared, and we'll let everybody choose what they want to do Saturday morning.  I'll be on the KLR ready to go either way--street or dirt.

TFancher

I plan to be there Friday evening. Need to get some mud on these new tars
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

catang5oh

The big brown truck made his showing, Woo Hoo! New Shoes for the Ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gulfcoaster

Looks like my bike won't be ready in time so I'm likely out. Maybe next time.

catang5oh

Look out for flying debris!
100hp rock slinger is going to be in action.
# TCS OFF

kylepeterson

shopping list:
buy a quart of smoke to run through it.

still gotta zip lock with tuna and flat bread from last weekend.

:-)

Nice Goat

Looks like the rain/storms will be scattered (hence the 50% probability) but is expected to be closer to 90% around 2pm.

To me, this is not a reason to cancel the event, although I understand that a lot of people don't like camping in the rain.  Keep in mind that there is a large pavilion that we can hang out under...

Shepcam

Quote from: catang5oh on March 22, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Look out for flying debris!
100hp rock slinger is going to be in action.
# TCS OFF

I was thinking about those for the KLR along with the Karro3. keep us posted on how they hold up!
2013 Kawasaki Concours

kylepeterson

how many people are planning to get dirty (ds route) vs how many street ?

catang5oh

+1 for dirt roads