RFP #12 - Oakmulgee Dual Sport Weekend

Started by gharshman, February 16, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

Camping, telling lies, calling names, and generally having a good time.

I plan to leave work early on Friday, March 24th and ride my KLR down to Paul Grist State Park.  They have plenty of tent camping space and a bathhouse with showers.  Expect to pay about $13/night for camping.

Must have a license plate to ride in the Talladega National Forest.  I will be on my KLR650, so I'm planning to stay on the approved roads.  More details as we get closer.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kylepeterson

the vibe I'm getting already is John Denver on a green motorcycle. and i like it.

RubyRider

Honey Bunz is kinda thinking bout showing up for this one. 8)
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Slede

so I have to come up with a dualsport by end of march then? ok
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

DBamaC

Are the primitive camping spots at Paul Grist in the trees?  I've been thinking of heading down that way for a quick overnight hammock camping trip, but I've never been to the park before.

Shepcam

I called the state park to be sure they allow hammocks and they do. Now as for trees, the photos on the website look like they have plenty. I hope so because I will be using one for this trip.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Nice Goat

Quote from: Shepcam on February 23, 2017, 03:08:06 PM
I called the state park to be sure they allow hammocks and they do. Now as for trees, the photos on the website look like they have plenty. I hope so because I will be using one for this trip.

I also plan to hang my hammock

catang5oh

A hammock will look like a big burrito for the alligators in the lake there!!

I hog hunt there every now and then, should be plenty of trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBamaC

Thanks for the replies.  I may have to pack up my tortilla...err hammock and run down for en evening one of these weekends.

Nice Goat

Visited the park today ... lots of trees for hammocks, lots of open space for tents, the main fire pit is surrounded by a stone wall for sitting around the fire, the showers were clean and warm.  Should be a nice place to camp.  The park manager's name is Roger Nichols ... he looks a bit like Johnny and he is a rider (Suzuki cruiser).  He's looking forward to us coming for the weekend.  He recommended R&B BBQ (about 10 miles away) for anybody who doesn't feel like cooking their own supper.

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Slede on March 10, 2017, 04:55:46 AM
is this still on?

Of course!  It's two weeks away, so much too early to get excited about weather forecasts, but this is what Wx-Underground is showing...

gulfcoaster

What type of dual sport riding? Wondering if it would be big bike friendly.

Nice Goat

Quote from: gulfcoaster on March 10, 2017, 07:13:08 PM
What type of dual sport riding? Wondering if it would be big bike friendly.

I'm planning to stay on the forest roads.  There may be some sections that are a little muddy or bumpy, but the ride should be adventure-bike friendly.  I'll be on my KLR, and I hate picking it up.  We'll go fast when it's clear, slow when it's interesting, and I've got a few waypoints plotted for sightseeing.  Plan on 64 miles on Saturday morning, lunch in Centreville, then 55 miles after lunch back to the campground.

If there is enough interest, supper at R&B BBQ is a good option.

gulfcoaster

Sounds good. Gotta get the bike into the shop. If I can get it back before I may try and make this one.