News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

anyof you guys ride year-round?

Started by skypuppy, November 15, 2017, 02:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypuppy

From 2004 until they sorta broke up, rode with the Redstone Riders almost every weekend, year-round.  That's right, even in January and February.  Just get the right gear and it's not a problem.  No, never did get electrics but seriously considering it.  Anyway, do you guys do that?  In the winter, we'd get maybe 250-300 miles on a Saturday and in the summer, closer to 400, not counting long weekends when we'd have a 3 day camping/motel ride, a couple times per year.

I'm itching to do some riding once out of town (Huntsville.)

What do you say?

klaviator

The Redstone riders are still around, sort of.  After they split the active group became the new Redstone Riders, then they changed their name to Crooked Road Riders.  Then they had a split and most of the riders started a new group called Friends Who Ride.  They are still active but not as much as before.  It also seems that more and more have switched to trikes. 

As for Bamarides, we do ride year round.  I'm planning on a street ride out of Huntsville the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Keep an eye on Planned Rides.

yamahamer

I ride year round but I only get 1 day a week to do so.
We have a New Years day dirt ride every year also. That's the beauty of the south, riding season never ends.  :bike-038:

kylepeterson

I love cold weather r rides , dual sport or off road. street rides get a little monotonous at 19f, but that has a lot more to do with my bias than it does the temperature ;-)

post a ride, folks will come !
just give 'er the berries !

Chitza

Skypuppy, what you will find here is a little different than most riding groups. We aren't a "club" or a group with any specific rules or goals other than riding and sharing. No one in particular is in charge of planning rides. Someone wants to ride, they post a spur of the moment ride or sometimes a planned ride well in advance. People show up. All kinds of riders: sport, cruiser, dual sport, scooter. We have over 400 members from all over the state. You can join every single ride posted and never ride with the same group of people. You will meet folks you really enjoy riding with and may ride with them as often as you can get together. I've made the best friends of my life here. The cool thing is, there's always room for more!

That being said, the more you put in here, the more you get out of it. Ride. Post a report, with pics is helpful. Even if it's just to the store. Play along with one of our riding games. Post a ride and show us the roads you like. Sometimes it takes a few times before you get off the ground. We all Ride year round. But with the holidays coming up, it does slow down a little. Keep a close eye on the Let's Ride and Planned Rides. Jump in when you feel froggy! You will be welcomed!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

Quote from: Chitza on November 15, 2017, 06:48:03 AM
Skypuppy, what you will find here is a little different than most riding groups. We aren't a "club" or a group with any specific rules or goals other than riding and sharing. No one in particular is in charge of planning rides. Someone wants to ride, they post a spur of the moment ride or sometimes a planned ride well in advance. People show up. All kinds of riders: sport, cruiser, dual sport, scooter. We have over 400 members from all over the state. You can join every single ride posted and never ride with the same group of people. You will meet folks you really enjoy riding with and may ride with them as often as you can get together. I've made the best friends of my life here. The cool thing is, there's always room for more!

That being said, the more you put in here, the more you get out of it. Ride. Post a report, with pics is helpful. Even if it's just to the store. Play along with one of our riding games. Post a ride and show us the roads you like. Sometimes it takes a few times before you get off the ground. We all Ride year round. But with the holidays coming up, it does slow down a little. Keep a close eye on the Let's Ride and Planned Rides. Jump in when you feel froggy! You will be welcomed!

Yep, that /\ about sums it up!
The next "big" street ride I can think of will be "The last ride of the year" to the Stagecoach Cafe" in Stockton Al.  Folks come from all over the south (and beyond) for that. It is not a Bamarides ride, it has been going on now for over 20 years or so.
I did get up a group from BR (and another forum ) to ride down a few years back. Left at dark, came back in the dark. It was a fun day! Even hit a few dirt roads on the way down.  :cool08:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

renchinrider

Hi, Skypuppy!  I'm also a Huntsville-based rider, and have gotten to ride with Klaviator a couple of times.  I and two others from the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club are planning to ride down to the Stagecoach Cafe on Dec 30th for the Last Ride of the Year.  Two of us will depart from Huntsville, and then we'll pick up another rider in/around Cullman.  Not sure how many others will jump in and join our ride between now and then, but we hope to have several more join in as the date approaches!

I'm on the mailing list for Friends Who Ride, and they seem to try and get out about 1x a week.  But with my work commitments, I have yet to be able to join them.  I sure wish I could, because they ride to some fun places, and seem to know where all the best places are to get lunch!  Once we finish renovating our house, I hope to join them more often.

Chitza and Springer said it best:  If you feel like riding, post an invitation:  You may get just one rider who wants to join, or you may have 30 show up.  Whatever the case, you'll be enjoying a ride!

Hope to join you on a street ride as well (I also am retired from dirt).  I should be "back in the saddle" more often by mid- to late-Spring! :bike-038:
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

KrisCook

Skypuppy, welcome!  I'm homebound with the care of my father, so the closest thing I can do to riding is to read your ride reports.  So be sure to flesh them out with plenty of pictures and descriptions, as well as the stuff that is going on inside your helmet when you ride.  Ride reports are what I am living on, in these days when I am not free to ride with my best friends. 

Also, thank you for being brave enough to ask the questions that are on your mind, instead of just lurking on the forum.  We love to answer questions! 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Al Goodwin

Somebody call my name?

Year round rider here....with proper gear it doesn't get to cold in Bama to ride.

VWCarlos

I am a street rider and I actually prefer the cooler weather to ride in. Dressing for the slide gets hot during the summer months but full leather is great when it gets cold out.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

I have year round gear (Olympia) and heated gloves and socks.  But I really don't like riding below 30 degrees, if I can help it.

Pro tip:  Use foam ear plugs to avoid catching a cold.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrou111

I'm not a year round rider. I stop street riding in the summer when it gets too hot (>95deg) for ATGATT.

Off road I'll ride year round though.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 16, 2017, 10:24:56 AM
I have year round gear (Olympia) and heated gloves and socks.  But I really don't like riding below 30 degrees, if I can help it.

Pro tip:  Use foam ear plugs to avoid catching a cold.

And going deaf....

springer

WAIT...what?

Folks ride them there motie cycles on here?

Better stop that nonsense, you will put your eye out kid!

:DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

David DoubleEX

I ride year round. Its all about having the right gear. I am out of scottsboro and work a typical 9-5 weekdays job, which means I am up for riding on weekends. I joined bama rides a while back but haven't been very active until now. I'm going to the ride Saturday and plan to have a cold, wet blast. Looking forward to meeting some of the guys on here.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk