News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Outex tubless system

Started by springer, December 29, 2017, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Has anyone tried the Outex tubless system on their spoke rims? Suppose to do away with the need for a tube.

Unfortunately the company Tubeless does not make their system in the Africa Twin rim sizes. So I am thinking about trying the Outex system. So if anyone has tried it, post up. Tell me (and I am sure the others) what you think of it, any problems you have had extra.

For those who have no idea what I am babbling about, here is a installation video;

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

yamahamer

Sumo guys have been doing this for years using Membrane tap or just covering spokes with silicone.

kylepeterson

I did it, it's awesome!

if you ride offroad though, dirt/sand will work it's way in between the bead of the tire and the rim, eventually leading to a slow leak. the tire full Lecce's left/right and the dirt creeps in.

if you're dual sporting with >15psi, and clean the rim/tire flawlessly it might last a season without getting too much dirt in to leak. I run around 8psi and the trials tires flex a bunch, so it leaks within a couple of weeks.
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Thanks Kyle! With the Africa Twin I doubt I would get lower than 25psi if that. For me it is a fire-road/dirt road bike. Just looking for away to do away with the tube.  Flats are much easier to fix with out a tube.  :)
The XR650L is another matter. It is a fat slow pig...sorta like me  :D , but it is a lot easier to pick-up than the twin.  ;)
The rims do have rim-locks though. I imagine that could be another source for an air leak.  Did the bike you had the Outex system on have rim-locks?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

m jinxing myself, but I have about one flat a year running 8-12psi in cheap regular strength tubes. at 20psi I could probably turn the tube into powder before it flatted from rocks n stuff. if you're not hunting offroad traction in the single digit psi range, skip it
just give 'er the berries !