News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Brake pedal extension

Started by cmhonda, April 05, 2018, 06:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmhonda

Hey everyone, I need your help. Does anyone know of anything or anyone that can help me out? Several years ago I had surgery on my right leg, now I'm having trouble reaching my brake pedal.  I need to extend it out about an inch further.  Either by putting a clamp to extend, weld something to extend it or a new brake pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chitza

Are you available for this?

http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2701.0

I bet that many Moto heads in one place would be able to find a solution.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

cmhonda

Unfortunately I will be working all day April 7

jrobinson

Photos and model of bike would help. I think making an extension would be the best route.

bblass

Do we need to relocate the pedal or just make it longer? Fabbing something up shouldn't be too hard either way
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

springer

Close's thing I can find;

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/6357

From looking at it and reading the description, the lever is not longer but the pedal part is bigger.

If you are looking for something a bit "longer' then it looks like you will need to;
1. Find a fab shop that does "tig" welding. From what I have read, the pedal arm is made from aluminum? If so, the arm will need to be Tig welded.
A. They cut the arm.
B. They cut a piece of aluminum bar stock to the size of length you need.
C. They tig weld it in between the "cut" pieces of the arm. 
D. Then shape it to fit, giving the lever length and keeping the width/taper as close as they can.

Or you could see if they could just make you a arm the length you need.

Of course that /\ is going to cost you some $$$.

I would try the bigger pedal first myself, or just give myself time to get use to the stock pedal.

Oh, just one other thing. Compare the 250 L pedal to a stock XR650L pedal, a CRF 450 pedal, and a Africa Twin pedal. See if any of them might work. This could be the cheapest route.

Give me a minute and I can get a measurement of length for the XR650L and Africa Twin pedals.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Just went out and compared my brake pedals on the XR650L and Africa Twin to some closeup shots on Google.

Unfortunately neither looks like they will work.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

sctparker

Assuming it is for a CRf and the brake pedal has a void in the middle . I have taken a plate and welded a bolt to it and put that thru the void and bolted another plate to the bottom to get more length to get more leverage for a guy that had a messed up leg . We welded bar stock on it and took a grinder to make teeth so it wasn't slick.

sctparker

Or check into a left hand brake system like the ox-brake

IceCold4x4

Quote from: sctparker on April 05, 2018, 11:05:10 AM
Or check into a left hand brake system like the ox-brake
Paging Kyle to the left hand brake help desk....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@kylepeterson

sctparker

cmhonda

Quote from: bblass on April 05, 2018, 08:14:29 AM
Do we need to relocate the pedal or just make it longer? Fabbing something up shouldn't be too hard either way
It just needs to be about a inch longer.

cmhonda

Quote from: springer on April 05, 2018, 09:30:16 AM
Close's thing I can find;

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/6357

From looking at it and reading the description, the lever is not longer but the pedal part is bigger.

If you are looking for something a bit "longer' then it looks like you will need to;
1. Find a fab shop that does "tig" welding. From what I have read, the pedal arm is made from aluminum? If so, the arm will need to be Tig welded.
A. They cut the arm.
B. They cut a piece of aluminum bar stock to the size of length you need.
C. They tig weld it in between the "cut" pieces of the arm. 
D. Then shape it to fit, giving the lever length and keeping the width/taper as close as they can.

Or you could see if they could just make you a arm the length you need.

Of course that /\ is going to cost you some $$$.

I would try the bigger pedal first myself, or just give myself time to get use to the stock pedal.

Oh, just one other thing. Compare the 250 L pedal to a stock XR650L pedal, a CRF 450 pedal, and a Africa Twin pedal. See if any of them might work. This could be the cheapest route.

Give me a minute and I can get a measurement of length for the XR650L and Africa Twin pedals.
Thank you so much for all your help and information, this was very helpful.

cmhonda

Quote from: sctparker on April 05, 2018, 10:13:04 AM
Assuming it is for a CRf and the brake pedal has a void in the middle . I have taken a plate and welded a bolt to it and put that thru the void and bolted another plate to the bottom to get more length to get more leverage for a guy that had a messed up leg . We welded bar stock on it and took a grinder to make teeth so it wasn't slick.
Thank you for your help, very informative.

cmhonda

Quote from: bblass on April 05, 2018, 08:14:29 AM
It needs to be about a inch longer and I would feel safer.