News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2019 Honda CRF450L Dual Sport

Started by kdtrull, May 23, 2018, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

40 pounds heavier than a KTM, but nearly the same price... I'm excited anyway, but...

I want a cool-looking Rally version.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

merc16

Oh yeah!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

klaviator

Lighter than a CRF250L or KLX250.  Itty bitty gas tank like all the other Japanese dual sports. 

KevinB

Honda totally dropped the ball on this one...

White fork guards would have looked much better.  :)

Kudos for separating the turn signals from what looks like an easily-removable license plate mount monstrosity.

Jwwr

$10,399 is pretty pricey, must be the titanium gas tank. I wonder if this will be a bike you could put 20,000 miles on without a rebuild. If it is then I'm really interested! If the maintenance intervals are more like a dirt bike, then it's weight will make it hard for it to compete with the European bikes.

norton73

I find 289 lbs with fluids hard to believe on a street legal 450 from Honda. That said, if it really is that light and has Honda's legendary reliability, this could be a game changer. I'd take a rally version at 320 lbs please.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

My guess... even with titanium intake valves, if you do not race it, and if you regularly change the oil and oil filter, and if you religiously clean the air filter... this bike will have legendary Honda reliability.

norton73

When I see a ride report over on AdvRider by someone who has ridden the TAT on one with no issues, I'll be looking hard at it.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Mulley

Some good info on Dirtbike Test.
https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/hondas-2019-crf450l-crf450x-trail-trail-legal/#xAJq2jlKwZq3zdDY.97

I'm predicting great things from this bike. It is almost exactly what every DRZ owner has been begging for. I could see me owning one in a few years. I've only owned one Honda before (1977 Trail 90) so I guess I should give them a shot.

It really only needs one item from the beginning. A bigger fuel tank. Seriously Honda, 2 gallons on a dual sport?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Jwwr

Some more details from their European website.

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/131076/2019-crf450l10

This line sounds really good!

"Based on the CRF450R, with first major service at 32,000km"

Nice Goat

Roczen looks like Dirty Grandpa as he describes all of the bikes in the CRF lineup.

kdtrull

"Developed in tandem with our all-new 2019 CRF450X, it features a powerful 449cc Unicam engine, twin-spar aluminum CRF chassis, six-speed transmission,"....I've never payed much attention to the CRF450X but I saw some 2017 450X Dyno plots today that indicated ~49 h.p.  This scoot is supposed to be comparable "Developed in tandem with" the X.  That is notable and impressive if you've been riding a 36 +/- h.p. KLR, DR, etc. 650....and even more so if you've also been riding a 292 lb. XT 250 (16 h.p.).....which is (far and away) the funnest dual sport I've ever owned. 

Six speed gear box on the CRF450L = +2 cool points.

Now, Yamaha owns the most shameful gap in dual sport / adventure bikes with an inexplicable void between 250cc and 1200cc.

The price for the CRF450L is ridiculous, IMO.  But all bike prices seem to be (are) going ^ up.  I'll likely be in the 2nd/3rd owner club from now on.

BTW...the only first-year model bike I ever bought that was a real show horse was a 1987 FZR 1000....$5400.00....can you even imagine, now days...(Deltabox, Genesis, 20 valves, do you remember)?

kdtrull

Quote from: Jwwr on May 23, 2018, 02:23:06 PM
$10,399 is pretty pricey, must be the titanium gas tank. I wonder if this will be a bike you could put 20,000 miles on without a rebuild. If it is then I'm really interested! If the maintenance intervals are more like a dirt bike, then it's weight will make it hard for it to compete with the European bikes.

We will see if they live up to the claims.  From Honda:  "Until now, you've always had to choose between performance and reliability. No longer—with the CRF450L, you get the best of both worlds. And "best" is a word you're going to hear a lot when you're talking about this bike."

gulfcoaster

Quote from: Nice Goat on May 23, 2018, 12:31:30 PM
I want a cool-looking Rally version.

I sense a DR650 for sale if this happens.