Save the Motorcycle Initiative - Prevent Motorcycle Abuse

Started by dredman, August 19, 2018, 11:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredman

We have all seen the abuse.  We have witnessed the decline of civilization.  We are on the brink of destruction, and any day this house of cards will collapse.  As a society, we are all riding towards the abyss, and the pile of carcasses continues to grow bigger.

So what am I talking about?

Abuse....pure and simple.

The carcasses are everywhere.

Polluting our planet.

Blocking the trails.

Rusting away in makeshift cemeteries.

The bodies of your old friends. 

Not even vultures care to dine on the decay.

So you have concern, but you don't know what YOU can do about it?

Have no fear.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD09hcBxRdQ

Save your old friends, and start the green revolution today.  Reply to this thread to see how you can get involved, or message @bblass for details of The Initiative.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

DonJuan

Nice! about all I can donate is a set of 1/2 used dual sport tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

LawnmowerRG

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

LawnmowerRG

More why I had in mind when the shop donated the bike. Not just buying cookie cutter parts. Though that is an option and would cut the build time down. @springer

springer

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on August 20, 2018, 02:28:05 PM
More why I had in mind when the shop donated the bike. Not just buying cookie cutter parts. Though that is an option and would cut the build time down. @springer

@LawnmowerRG
You need way more than an old motor made from an alternator. A rheostat and wiring to replace the throttle, a controller to accept the signal from the rheostat and give proportional current/voltage out. (that is shown in the video) You will also need a source of power, like batteries.
This kit gets you a Mosfet controller (Mosfet, mostest important), and a brush-less DC motor . (same link as shown above /\)
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Brushless-Complete-Controller-Motorcycle/dp/B07G2LZHD8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1534704877&sr=8-8&keywords=batteries+for+electric+motorcycle.

Sure, you could use heavy lead cell batteries but weight is also important...veryly important as it will affect the range of the motorcycle. As in an electric anything mobile, range is also veryly important...unless you just want to ride up and down your driveway.
The batteries linked above /\  can be linked into more a bigger pack, so there is more range...with way less weight

BTW, as being an electronic/electrical tech for the past 30 or so years in an industrial envorment, I have worked around ALL that/\ and I had a good rep for repairing and setting up drive systems like the one needed here.
It doesn't matter if the final drive (that would be the drive wheel(s) of the motorcycle being contemplated here) of the machine are pneumatic rubber tires, rollers on a conveyor, or belts to transfer product, they all have to go round and round in a controlled manner.

Matter of fact, the guy in that /\ video sorta screwed up.
I think a moare better way would have been to wire it up as a regenerative braking motor. That way instead of displacing the wasted energy as heat like a brake on a motorcycle/car/truck, it could be converted back into energy to provide a charge to the system.
There are a few electric vehicles that already do that, ya know??
You can never get 100% back, but every little bit helps.

If this is going to be a group project, I am in.  ;)

If this is going to be a I am in charge type of thing well I will just bail out now.  ;) ;) The only boss I will work for is one that pays me...ya know? :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

No no don't mistake me for discounting your experience. I was hoping you were in on this. I have a very basic knowledge of how it works. Maybe enough to get up and down my driveway. Your experience is greatly appreciated Harvey. Just can't have my work looking to profetional. >:(

bblass

@dredman did a terrific job turning those ramblings into something coherent and the Elon Musk cut was gold!

The goal of this is for it to be a fun group project where we can all learn something for the lowest investment possible. Maybe we can get together and discuss a plan to plan this Thursday night.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

bblass

Thanks for the link Springer! That kit looks awesome!

kylepeterson

that's a big project to understand, let alone undertake.

you have a welder, so the battery cages and mounting sould be pretty easy to fabricate. I can help with that part, it's all knuckle dragging stupid stuff anyway. don't set yourself on fire or drink the acid kind of stuff.

the electric crap (which is 90% of this project!) needs to be assigned to a few people that know what the hell they're doing. you know, so it don't let the magic smoke out n stuff.

gearing n stuff is even dumber than the fabrication, so whoever has a screwdriver not stuck in their eye already, can probably handle that.

or maybe I need to stand off to the side and act like I'm doing something with a camera instead screwing a flock of pooches
? whatever, sounds like fun.
just give 'er the berries !

bblass

Last night we made many plans and even got a few leads on where to look for heavily discounted or donated equipment. Almost as important, we came up with a few names!

The nominees are below. Vote for your favorite by posting and whoever came up with the one chosen by the forum will make a small donation towards the project.

The Electric Boogaloo
Ol'Sparky
Freebie
Lightning
Lead Belly
Something for Nothing
Hard to Follow
Don't let the Smoke Out
DR Flair
P-250D

Come join us at the next Thursday night wrench club and be a part of the project!

And don't forget, we're happy to come haul away anything you want to donate

springer

Don't let the smoke out.

So by posting this /\ I am voting  for this name, right?