News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Alabama the Beautiful.

Started by Yankee Dog, June 29, 2017, 09:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Dog

The missus and have talked about a trip around the boarders of Alabama for a while.  We usually take a long trip every summer so it was decided that this year would be that year.  And of course since as some of you may know we do enjoy stopping at microbreweries from time to time it seemed appropriate to combine the two activities.

So off we go.

First stop Florence and Bluewater Brewery.

The weather earlier was looking a might iffy but by the time Bratso (that would be the missus) got home from work and we hit the road all was well.

Bluewater Brewery is a small place.  They only had three beers on tap but they were all good.  My favorite was the General John Coffee Stout. I do like a good used motor oil and General John certainly met the requirement.  I didn't get pics of the inside but we will endeavor to do better in the future.  The bartender was of the friendly sort.  He gave us samples of the other beers on tap, to include a quad that had not been released yet. Yummy.  Life is good. 

Tomorrow's stop is Tuscaloosa and the Band of Brothers Brewery.  Time allowing we may also stop in at Black Warrior.  So tag along as we drink our way around Alabama and try to get a little motorcycle riding in between. 

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Al Goodwin

Yankee Dog

springer

This should be interesting........very interesting.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Yankee Dog

Great day for a ride.  First stop was Waterloo. Our Northwestern most point.  I always like the riverside drive on the way out there.  I think the Bratso has some pics of it.  This is the Trail of Tears memorial

I have never ridden much on the west side of our state.  I kind of liked it.  A lot of chipseal lane and a half twisty roads.  Just perfect for the baby beemer.  We were in in out of the rain all day.  Only came down hard once but we were able to find shelter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankee Dog

Today's featured brewery is Band of Brothers in Tuscaloosa. They go after a European style.  And although I personally prefer American stouts and such.  They were stil pretty good.

This was the food truck outside where we continued the culinary side of our adventure

Yankee Dog

Oops. Almost forgot the beer.

Yankee Dog

Road shots.  Since after all this is a motorcycle riding forum

Yankee Dog

Round two is Black Warrior Brewing

This the most popular brewery in town. But I find the beer to be a bit bland.  Not bad mind you. But not as full flavored as what Huntsville has to offer. 

That is likely it for the night. I will have a
Headache in the morning for sure.  I am not as young as I used I be. 

Bratso

Today we will divert our Alabama tour into the great state of Mississippi. Today in Mississippi the brewery laws change and there is much rejoicing!!! We will join in on the celebration.

Yankee Dog

Arrival in Laurel MS.  Only got lost a couple of times. 

Yankee Dog

Today's stop is Slowboat Brewery in Laurel, MS.   Yeah I know Mississippi is not Alabama. But Alabama is a bit short of breweries in this part of the state.  So Mississippi is forced to take up the slack

Turnes out MS just changed their brewery laws and now allow them to sell their own beer on premises.   There are parties going on all across the state.  This one was hopping with bands and the whole nine.

Slowboat is in an old warehouse/factory. The decor was shall we say a bit rough.  But we loved it and the beer was great. They had a really nice milk stout and a sour or two that we actually drinkable.

Laurel is not exactly on the route to anywhere but if you do find yourself in the neighborhood it is certainly worth a stop

Yankee Dog

Tomorrow's stop is Fairhope Brewing. 

Hammerdown77

Man this looks fun. None of the guys I ride with care about craft beer.

Band of Brothers is one I'd like to visit. I've had some of their beers at Wish You Were Beer in Huntsville/Madison, and thought they were pretty good.

Had not heard of Bluewater. Surprised you didn't hit up Singin' River in Florence. They're the most well known from that area.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom