Flash Mob to See "A story Worth Living" in Trussville Thursday May 19

Started by norton73, May 16, 2016, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

lk2rd

After reading these reviews, I'm sorry I missed this film.  I can't remember a movie that inspired more passionate reviews.

kryten

Quote from: lk2rd on May 20, 2016, 06:31:15 PM
After reading these reviews, I'm sorry I missed this film.  I can't remember a movie that inspired more passionate reviews.

You must have missed Batman v Superman. It was a stinkfest too!

Mulley

The makers of the film have responded to the critics with an open letter, apology and offering your money back.

http://www.astoryfilm.com/openletter

I had no idea who these people were other than one guy was listed as a best selling author. I didn't know what books he had written or anything. But after reading up, I now understand the situation. It's very clear to me who they really are and how fake this film was.

The thousands of motorcyclists that viewed this film were purposefully shown a trailer that did not represent the film.

I feel like an idiot for not seeing through it now.

You got me "A Story", you got me.

I will say that reading comments on social media has pretty much made up for it. I have  been entertained.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

banjocraig

I've enjoyed y'all's reviews. I had to work thursday but will probably watch it when it hits video.  I've read a couple of books by the older guy (John Eldridge) and I like his take on life.   Interestingly, one of the things that turned me on to riding was the book from the '70's called 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.  It was also kind of boring in places (I never finished it) but I really liked some parts.  I love riding as a thing in itself, but I also think it works well as a vehicle (bad pun, sorry) for talking about life, feelings, and other deep crap.  I'm glad BamaRides has "The Real Stuff" section, for example.

Early in the book "Zen..." a guy on a BMW has his bike break down.  He gets all bent out of shape because "BMW's aren't supposed to break down!"  The narrator keeps his zen-calm, fixes the beemer, takes the delay in stride, and rolls on.  Not liking "A Story Worth Living" is cool, I might not like it once I see it. But I've read about some folks getting really bent out of shape about it.  They won't, but those folks would benefit from a little zen.  Being all uptight like the BMW guy, especially over a movie, is a waste of energy.

Nice Goat

Quote from: banjocraig on May 23, 2016, 08:05:08 PM
I've enjoyed y'all's reviews. I had to work thursday but will probably watch it when it hits video.  I've read a couple of books by the older guy (John Eldridge) and I like his take on life.   Interestingly, one of the things that turned me on to riding was the book from the '70's called 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.  It was also kind of boring in places (I never finished it) but I really liked some parts.  I love riding as a thing in itself, but I also think it works well as a vehicle (bad pun, sorry) for talking about life, feelings, and other deep crap.  I'm glad BamaRides has "The Real Stuff" section, for example.

Early in the book "Zen..." a guy on a BMW has his bike break down.  He gets all bent out of shape because "BMW's aren't supposed to break down!"  The narrator keeps his zen-calm, fixes the beemer, takes the delay in stride, and rolls on.  Not liking "A Story Worth Living" is cool, I might not like it once I see it. But I've read about some folks getting really bent out of shape about it.  They won't, but those folks would benefit from a little zen.  Being all uptight like the BMW guy, especially over a movie, is a waste of energy.

Interesting comparison.  Pirsig named his book "Zen and ....", not "A Motorcycle Adventure with my Son".  If he had named it that, people would have likely also felt duped.  People expected a movie about adventure motorcycling because the official trailer stated that they were inspired by "Long Way Around" and wanted to have a similar adventure.  The only indicator that they were doing something different than an adventure motorcycling movie was one nebulous statement in the trailer, which most people dismissed as marketing "filler" ...

"We're creating something to give people insight into their whole life as a story."

If you visit the web page of "And Sons Magazine" and go to the "About" section, these are the first sentences:

"We are brothers, adventure seekers, writers, sons.  We aim to explore what it means to live with authentic masculinity as we step into the many aspects of our world today." (emphasis added)

This hipster sentiment started with Robert Bly's book "Iron John" and reached mainstream with Chuck Palahniuk's "Fight Club."  Are we men?  If you have to ask, the answer is, "No."
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

JBMFT

Quote from: Nice Goat on May 23, 2016, 09:25:16 PM
This hipster sentiment started with Robert Bly's book "Iron John" and reached mainstream with Chuck Palahniuk's "Fight Club."  Are we men?  If you have to ask, the answer is, "No."

I have to disagree with you a little bit here. Though many of us would say we have (and may have always had) a clear definition of what it means to be a man, it seems like some people's idea on the subject has been blurred by the abandonment of gender stereotypes and sex roles and the proliferation of helicopter parenting and participation trophies. I'm not saying Fight Club got it all right but there is a lot in that book that while not always on the mark was definitely in the ballpark.

I don't think of it any differently than self-evaluation in the workplace. Every once in a while you should ask yourself if you are a worthy employee and the best you can be at what you do. Thinking about your role as a man in society and especially your family is something you should do from time to time. That said, choose your sources and methods for evaluation wisely. Most "Men's" magazines will tell you being a man means having a sports car, fancy clothes, six pack abs and a supermodel at your side. My grandfather didn't have any of those things and he was the most manly man I have ever known.

If we expect men not to need to ask "are we men" then we need to give them good examples (like our Fathers and Grandfathers) to follow. Something has to be in the mix to balance the stream of examples in mainstream media. There is something authentic about the men that came before us that we recognized and if we exhibit those same qualities, we can hope that as younger boys grow into men they will recognize it in us as well.

Disclaimer: other than my own male experience I have no education or formal training on which to base this dime-store psychobabble. Take it for what it is worth.  ;) 

Nice Goat

Quote from: JBMFT on May 25, 2016, 07:14:33 AM
... I have no education or formal training on which to base this ...

I have no problem with Iron John or Fight Club.  I enjoyed them both, and also read some of Deborah Tannen's books on linguistic analysis of males vs females.  I think what you find in most of this material is that men have a propensity for problem-solving and action with much less emphasis on emotional connection and sharing.  I think that all of us, male and female, fall on a spectrum between two extremes in these areas.  The lessons of Iron John, Fight Club, and You Just Don't Understand --- are that men must maintain balance between action and listening.  Too much action and you cannot connect with women.  Too much listening and you cannot connect with other men.  That's where I think this movie failed.

And I'm not a professional either, so this is all worth about that much. :D
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Shepcam

2013 Kawasaki Concours

dredman

Quote from: Nice Goat on May 25, 2016, 02:16:05 PM
Too much action and you cannot connect with women.  Too much listening and you cannot connect with other men.  That's where I think this movie failed.

I think where the movie failed is the minute they decided to take a very interesting topic, and turn it into a shit-version of Orah meets Dr. Phil.  Surely they could have shared some of the touchy-feely message without giving away 85% of the movie to talking about feelings.

I felt defrauded, and thanks to Mulley's link, I requested a refund. (see email below)

It was however, good to hang out with moto dudes, and have some dinner/beer beforehand - the only redeeming value of the evening  8)

QuoteStacey (RH) (RH Support)
May 25, 13:54

Hey Don,

Thanks for getting in touch. We are sorry you felt so disappointed because of what you saw on the screen, we hope you can come to understand is was not our intention to deceive anyone.

We will absolutely refund your money. We'll get that out to you as soon as we can.

---
Stacey Burton
for the Ransomed Heart Team