News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

$4500 Adventure Bike

Started by dredman, October 07, 2017, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredman

This was at Barber,  not in the states but selling in Europe and Asia.  It has a 410cc with 29 hp, fuel injected.

Looks like a fun bike.  Would anyone consider this?  Seems like a KlR/DR alternative?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8URQapfLkmA3jGe43

klaviator

Line the rest of the Royal Enfield line I think it looks cool and is interesting but I couldn't see myself actually buying one.

JBMFT

$4500? I'd like o test ride one first but it it went well...hell yeah!

klaviator

I stopped by Allsport Yesterday and they had three of the new Royal Enfield Himalayans in the showroom.  I have been reading pretty good reviews on this bike.

Back in October I posted that I could not see myself buying one of these.  I'm actually thinking about it now although I will want to see the reviews after it's been out there for a year or two.  It seems pretty well equipped but the rear luggage rack is really tiny.

The seat height is really low for a DS/Adventure bike which means the legroom is a little tight for me.  That would be easily fixed with a thick seat cushion. 

And here's MaydayMike sitting on one.

We both preferred the white one but the black one was in a better position to get a picture.

Nice Goat

I read a review a while back that said it was heavier than a KLR.  Don't remember the actual weight, but I remember thinking that I would not want to pick it up.  Curious if it feels underpowered or not, and also whether it will have good reliability for long distance riding.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

They claim a "Kerb" weight of 401 pounds.  If that is wet weight then it's about the same wet wieght as a first gen KLR but around 30 pounds less than the current KLR.  Of course the KLR has more fuel, 6.1 vs 4 gallons.  The RE is a lot lower so it feels lighter.  It's not a very powerful engine so performance will probably be close to a typical 250 DS but with more low end torque.  If you are looking for high performance then this is not your bike.

klaviator

The latest issue of Rider magazine compares the Himalayan with the Versys 300x and R310GS.  All bikes were given pretty good reviews.  I did notice that the Wet weight of the Himalayan is 431 pounds.  That's one pound less than a second gen KLR.  With the same amount of fuel the KLR is lighter.  None of these bikes are exactly light if you compare them with a real dual sport bike.  Compares to one of the modern liter plus class Adventure bike all of these bikes are small and light.  I think any of them would be a lot of fun as long as you are not looking for a serious dirt oriented dual sport.