News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dr650 thread

Started by Buzz, November 19, 2017, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Well this has been missing. Let's us talk about the most frarkled type of bike in history of $10k mods on a $5k bike.

Buzz

My farkles are to extensive to list. I'll start with my current load of dumb ideas.

THE D (DUMB) STROM

I wanted real wind protection. I didn't want to spend 15k for the kits currently on the market. So I had my vstrom apart. I looked  closely at the fairing stay. So I ordered a $60 aftermarket stay, and the required trash can.

To be updated.

Buzz

Quote from: Buzz on November 19, 2017, 10:21:08 AM
My farkles are to extensive to list. I'll start with my current load of dumb ideas.

THE D (DUMB) STROM

I wanted real wind protection. I didn't want to spend 15k for the kits currently on the market. So I had my vstrom apart. I looked  closely at the fairing stay. So I ordered a $60 aftermarket stay, and the required trash can.

To be updated.
Pics

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Buzz

More to come

Quote from: Buzz on November 19, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
Pics

More pics

Nice Goat

You made a rally fairing out of a trash can?!   ???

You are not allowed to come near my bike.  She is a virgin, but I'll be giving her some love soon.

My previous DR650 is now in David's collection.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

gulfcoaster

All DR650 owners need to check out the Adventure Oz channel on YouTube.

Buzz

Chitza

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 19, 2017, 10:53:56 AM

You are not allowed to come near my bike....

You should be fine...as long as he doesn't have a roll of duct tape and a wad of zip ties in his hand 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

Quote from: Chitza on November 19, 2017, 03:15:40 PM
You should be fine...as long as he doesn’t have a roll of duct tape and a wad of zip ties in his hand 8)

:o Those are 2 of mans best friends  :o .
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

terryrussell1

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 19, 2017, 10:53:56 AM

You are not allowed to come near my bike.  She is a virgin, but I'll be giving her some love soon.

My previous DR650 is now in David's collection.

I have ur old 650 now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

terryrussell1

Well I bought a H4 LED head light for the DR650 from advmonster.  http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/ and I thought I would give it a quick review.  If anybody has rode a DR650 the stock headlight does not light up very well.  I had two objectives when I got this bulb.  Objective 1 was a brighter more white headlight so other cars can see me during the day when I ride and Objective 2 was to free up some battery wattage to be able to run my headed gear.

Lets first talk about the bulb.  The H4 Native comes as a complete set.  No separate boxes that you have to find a place to store, and a fan all built in to one.  Over all quality seems well made.  Its definitely feels beefy and well made in the hands.  It fit perfect in the H4 housing to include not trimming of the rubber boot on back.  Total install about 5 minutes.

H4 Bulb

Cooling fan

Cooling fins

Now lets get to what everybody wants to know.  How do they look.  I've took some photos of the stock headlight along with the new and approved.

Stock Low Beam

Stock High Beam

H4 Low Beam

H4 High Beam

Over all I'm happy with the outcome.  The new LED definitely seems more focused which could be a problem for some, but for me it doesn't matter b/c I'm also running a set of Advmonster model 44 (flood). 

I feel I have achieved both my objectives.  Objective 1 the light is much brighter than the standard bulb and Objective 2 with the saved watts I should have no problem now running my headed jacket and glove liners.

kylepeterson

that's a really good beam pattern. is the stock location used, or did you have to space it out of the reflector some?

makes me want to do something to the drz that is less scatter bomb ish
just give 'er the berries !

terryrussell1

Quote from: kylepeterson on November 25, 2017, 06:50:35 AM
that's a really good beam pattern. is the stock location used, or did you have to space it out of the reflector some?

makes me want to do something to the drz that is less scatter bomb ish
No spacers needed the bulb fit like oem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

I changed to Tusk fat handlebar today (CR high bend) with Rox risers also.  Added Tusk handguards with built-in LED turn signals (saved 21 watts).  Removed useless switches, grab bars, tail anchor, huge brake light, passenger pegs, helmet lock, kickstand switch, clutch switch, etc.  Box of removed crap weighs about 10 pounds.