News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

testing my s9+

Started by springer, August 08, 2018, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Mulley

Like, we totally have the same phone.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

JBMFT

Is this your first Galaxy phone? They're the best.

KevinB

Quote from: JBMFT on August 08, 2018, 05:28:37 PM

They can have my Galaxy S3 when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

springer

Quote from: JBMFT on August 08, 2018, 05:28:37 PM
Had a s5 for several years...would still have it if it didn't fall out of my riding jacket.  :( Didn't notice it until I got home, turned around to look for it, never found it.  :( I have had this 1 for about 6-8 months and I am still learning on it.  This post and video wasn't so much about the phone as it is about;
1. Finding a good 'Video App" that is easy to;
A. Edit, add music to, and render a video.
B. Then export the video directly, by passing a video host. ( Youtube, Vimeo )
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

Brian A

My HTC died two days back. Screen went bonkers. Looked like something from an LSD trip.

Anyway, I had insurance on it. Went to Verison Tuesday at 7:00 pm.
Less than 24 hours later UPS dropped off a new phone was on my doorstep.

Galaxy S7.

I like it.

I tend to use a phone pretty much as a phone - calling and texting. And the camera is nice to have. About the only app I ever use is ABC3340 weather app.

These new phones seem to know everything there is to know about me and my contacts. Or at least they TRY to know everything. I'm ornery I guess.
I turn everything off. No e-mail to my phone. No location services running. No linking this to that or hangouts or whatever.  Nothing.

If they had a rotary dial cell phone I could probably make do with that.

springer

Old school/\  ;) Like I like. If I can get 1/2 of the capabilities out of this new phone, it would be awesome.  I had full on computers in the late 80's, early 90's that didn't have 1/3 of the abilities.
286, 386, and the all new, oh my God, Pentium.  :D

One of my main usage of the old phone and this new 1 is Google Maps. Put in my location (or let Google find it), the location of were I want to go, how I want to go (no interstate or toll roads thank you very much) and BAM! 2-3 routes to use, Traffic reports along the way, alt routes if I do take a little detour, amazing it is.

Beats planning out on a paper map by a long shot, then trying to decipher my hand written directions written on painters tape laid across the tank.  :D :D

Now I just hook the phone up to a splicer running to my speakers in my helmet, then listen to my music and follow the spoken directions given by Google Maps.

That /\ has kept me from dropping big $ on 1 of those GPS directional finder thingys.  ;)

Brian A

Been playing around with the S7.

Nice.

I can see me using some of the stuff. Most of it was there on prior HTC, just not as nice and slick as the newer S7.  I like Samsung's user interface better than what was on the HTC.

The camera is really nice. It has hyperlapse and slo-mo.  Cool.

Side note - my work phone is an iPhone. I do NOT like the iPhone. Android is - IMO - a much better system.

springer

Okay, same video as above, tweaked by the Action Director app. (Didn't need to tell you, the app gives you a BIG hint in the video \/. I have not bought the app yet but if I do I can do away with that.)

Replaced the sound with sounds of rain, yes, it is raining here, and the sounds of chimes.

Oh, it was thundering too, so you get that @ no extra charge.  :D

JBMFT

I have the S7, my wife an S5.
I am willing to give up my data in exchange for usage of google and Samsung products.
I have nothing to hide. Anyone sifting through my data would get very bored very quickly.

Brian, to your comment, Andriod is far superior to Apple simply because Android has made the system and have left it to the users to come up with the best uses of the system. Apple, on the other hand, thinks they know best how you should (or should not) use their devices and therefore limits what you can and cannot do with them. It would be like buying an expensive sports car but it will only let you turn onto certain roads. You can "drive" an android anywhere.

Some examples:
Each morning my phone gets the weather for wherever I am and reads it out loud to me. It is set up to go to silent automatically during work hours. It does the same when it detects I am near my church or any movie theaters in the area.
Some moto related stuff: If I get a text when I am riding with headphones in it will tell me who the text is from and what the message says and automatically reply that I am on the bike, how fast I am going and that I will get back to them later. If my battery power gets to 1% it will text my last known gps coordinates to my wife and tell her my phone is dying and there might be an emergency. She can also send a specific message in text and get my gps coordinates at any time.

These are all things Apple won't let you do. Not to mention that the later model Galaxy phones are water and dustproof out of the box. Iphone? Not so much. Also, Samsung uses the same amoled technology in their smartphone screens as they do in their high-def big screen televisions. They undeniably make the best looking and clearest screens. Guess who Apple gets their phone screens from? :)

PS: I am not a paid or otherwise endorsed spokesperson for Android, google or Samsung (although maybe I should be).

JBMFT

Quote from: springer on August 09, 2018, 08:27:17 AM
Beats planning out on a paper map by a long shot, then trying to decipher my hand written directions written on painters tape laid across the tank.  :D :D
I know someone who used to employ that method...

springer

Quote from: JBMFT on August 09, 2018, 08:06:40 PM
I know someone who used to employ that method...

:D :D Yep, as many wrong turns I take...well Thanks!  ;)

sctparker

Quote from: JBMFT on August 09, 2018, 08:04:09 PM
I have the S7, my wife an S5.
I am willing to give up my data in exchange for usage of google and Samsung products.
I have nothing to hide. Anyone sifting through my data would get very bored very quickly.

Brian, to your comment, Andriod is far superior to Apple simply because Android has made the system and have left it to the users to come up with the best uses of the system. Apple, on the other hand, thinks they know best how you should (or should not) use their devices and therefore limits what you can and cannot do with them. It would be like buying an expensive sports car but it will only let you turn onto certain roads. You can "drive" an android anywhere.

Some examples:
Each morning my phone gets the weather for wherever I am and reads it out loud to me. It is set up to go to silent automatically during work hours. It does the same when it detects I am near my church or any movie theaters in the area.
Some moto related stuff: If I get a text when I am riding with headphones in it will tell me who the text is from and what the message says and automatically reply that I am on the bike, how fast I am going and that I will get back to them later. If my battery power gets to 1% it will text my last known gps coordinates to my wife and tell her my phone is dying and there might be an emergency. She can also send a specific message in text and get my gps coordinates at any time.

These are all things Apple won't let you do. Not to mention that the later model Galaxy phones are water and dustproof out of the box. Iphone? Not so much. Also, Samsung uses the same amoled technology in their smartphone screens as they do in their high-def big screen televisions. They undeniably make the best looking and clearest screens. Guess who Apple gets their phone screens from? :)

PS: I am not a paid or otherwise endorsed spokesperson for Android, google or Samsung (although maybe I should be).

I'm not a fan of either more than the other ( they have almost become a necessity to do business) but I do  have the Iphone X it will do almost all of this, not sure about the sending a text when the battery is low with cordinates, and it is dust and water resistant out of the box. 

It does , and is capable of way more than I need.

Apple  gets oled screens from LG  also

JBMFT

Quote from: sctparker on August 09, 2018, 09:10:00 PM
I'm not a fan of either more than the other ( they have almost become a necessity to do business) but I do  have the Iphone X it will do almost all of this, not sure about the sending a text when the battery is low with cordinates, and it is dust and water resistant out of the box. 

It does , and is capable of way more than I need.

Apple  gets oled screens from LG  also

Respectfully...

My assumption would be that you don't have a preference because you've never wanted your phone to do something an iphone wasn't capable of or Apple didn't think you needed to do or should have.

The point isn't about these examples and whether or not the iphone will do them (it won't btw). :)) The point is that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a device and then be told what I can or cannot do with it that is within the device's capabilities. Whether or not Apple makes good devices is not the issue. They do. Are they their own worst enemy when it comes to the limitations that are put on the devices they make? Without a doubt.

In terms of water and dust resistance, the iphone-x is rated IP67. Every Galaxy from the S7 on has been rated IP68. Ironically neither Apple or Samsung provide warranty coverage for water damage to their phones.

Samsung is the sole supplier for screens in the iphone-x. Apple has made a large investment in LG in an effort to reduce their reliance on Samsung. LG cannot meet Apple's demand but most reports point to LG supplying around 20% of screens in iphones produced this year. LG was struggling to get the same display quality as Samsung in the smaller screen sizes and will provide screens for the phones with larger displays.

Edited for a grammatical error.