News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Playing Tag

Started by JBMFT, March 26, 2020, 07:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBMFT

After doing a little research and seeing that the newest tag was as close as Montgomery, and since I have a lot of extra time on my hands now, I decided to hop on the bike and go get the tag! I packed myself a lunch, grabbed some gas and got on the road.

Since I had done a fair amount of riding in and around Hoover in the past couple weeks I decided to Reader's Digest the parts I had been riding through and take 65-S to just outside of town and hopped off at the Jemison/Thorsby exit and pick up 31-S. There is something I really enjoy about cruising through small, southern towns. It's like being in a time machine back to a slower paced, simpler way of life. Most of them still have awesome old storefronts and main streets which haven't changed over the years. I keep telling myself I need to stop and explore and maybe someday I will.

Between towns the roads opened up and I bathed in the green fields and blue skies of rural Alabama. I was really able to stretch the bike's legs and maintain a really good clip making quick work of the distance between home and the tag. Crossing into the city limits I pulled over, mounted the phone on the dash and let google guide me to the Montgomery Zoo.

Above is an alternate shot I took. The zoo looked nice and I have never been but they were closed, pandemic and all, so I will have to go back another time. I set the GPS for downtown Montgomery to find a shady spot for lunch. I stopped in the riverwalk parking area and found some shaded steps to sit and eat on. The classic PBJ, chips, soda and a few Oreos did not disappoint. I took a few minutes to look around but didn't get too far from the bike. I did see this guy though...

I took a quick look at the digital map to mentally plot my course back taking care not to retrace my steps. I navigated through the city to 231-N and was able to make really good time back to 280 as there are less towns on that route. I was really able to let the bike sing!

I told myself if I saw an old Rexall Drugstore sign on the trip I would grab a photo so I caught this one in Rockford.

Jamming down 280 I took a side-tour through Cahaba Heights and up to The Summit to grab a new tag. It is pretty much a ghost town right now. Here's an alternate shot that I thought might not make the location obvious enough.

After that I decided to mosey on back to Hoover but took a couple more alternate routes including past my childhood home and around a small lake near my neighborhood. All in all, I had an excellent day out on the road and saw some cool landmarks and some great back roads. I clocked exactly 235 miles. I hope to keep riding a couple times a week until this mess is over. The situation certainly isn't ideal but I am try to make the best of it. :)

Nice Goat

Sounds like a nice ride, but I can't see the photos... :(
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

Same here.

I hope you at least waved while you were in town!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

JBMFT

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 26, 2020, 01:02:09 PM
Sounds like a nice ride, but I can't see the photos... :(

Try again, my bad...

JBMFT

Quote from: Guidedawg on March 26, 2020, 01:41:48 PM
Same here.

I hope you at least waved while you were in town!

Try again. Yes I waved. ;)

KevinB

Nice report/pics...thanks!

I'm also diggin' the FJR.

Guidedawg

Already enjoyed the report but much better with pics! Excellent shot with Hank (the tag has been there before).

I especially enjoy Rockford and Sylacauga when traveling on 231 and 21