News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Insects

Started by norton73, March 15, 2016, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Many years ago while living in SW VA I went for a ride up on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a young lady who owned an ex military HD 45. this being pre-ATGATT times, she was riding in a tank top, no bra :D . I was riding in front of her on my Commando, when i realized I could no longer see her behind me. I turned around to find her standing beside her bike topless, waving her top over her head!

I pulled over expecting to go run off in the bushes with her, only to discover that a bee or other stinging insect had flown down her top between her boobs, and had done a little damage before she got stopped. Unfortunately, she did not take me up on my offer to kiss things better, and only wanted to return home :cry:

Later a similair thing was to happen a few years later to another young lady I was bicycle riding with, however she was wearing a bra, so it was a less visually inspiring incident.

For a brief period of time I owned a Kawasaki Z1R-TC (good thing it was brief, 'cause otherwise I may not be typing anything in this life). While running down the road probably close to 1 and 1/2 times the ton, headed north, I ran into the south end of a stinging insect with my neck. The impact must have drove the stinger deep into my neck, and left a welt and lump the size of a baseball. I was dizzy before I got the bike stopped and was lucky not to fall of it. I had to sit by the road for quite sometime before I could slowly ride home.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

I've hit hundreds of bugs over the years, but thankfully only one ever made it into my shirt.  Usually I am wearing a jacket and sitting behind a windshield.  Many riders don't like windshields, but I hate bugs more than windshields.

My personal favorite experiences are:

- bumble bees on the open highway (feels like somebody cracked you in the helmet with a 2x4), and
- riding through a spider web in the woods, then later having a big banana spider crawl across your face shield.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

polarissalesman

about 4 yrs ago my wife and I went on an excursion, it was HOT, I mean unbearable.....anyway, we decided we had enough so I hit Highway 82 off the Natchez Trace and I was headed toward home hammer down. I  figured out that i could turn my foot on side of hwy peg and let some air flow up my pants leg, unfortunately so did the BUG, right outside of Starkville, Ms something went to stinging me, I hit the shoulder of the road running 65 did a hard stop and commence to coming out of my pants right there in front of God and everyone on HWY 82 right at the Welcome to Starkville sign....that creature had stung me 11 times and flew away, LuAnn said it would die, but that didn't help m feelings at all...
"keep the rubber side down"

Guidedawg

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 15, 2016, 05:37:44 PM
- riding through a spider web in the woods, then later having a big banana spider crawl across your face shield.

Someone would eventually find my bike and body after the fatal heart attack

norton73

A couple years ago, my wife and I rode up to Trials Training Center to watch the world championship round there, we camped in a tent onsite.
I usually put my helmet inside the tent, Lynn often leaves hers in the vestibule. On this occasion she gave me a hard time about my gear taking up space inside.
The next morning she puts her helmet on and closes the visor, only to find a very large spider on it directly in the center. My first clue was a very loud scream, and a very frantic removal of her helmet.
She keeps her helmet in the tent now.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KrisCook

I was at highway speed one day with my face shield cracked open about 1/2".  Something hit the shield, so I looked down to see what it was, and there in the crack was a huge hornet, half in and half out.  I quickly closed the shield tight, trapping the top half of the hornet inside, and the stinging end outside.  I rode cross-eyed as I watched to see whether the front end of the thing was going to somehow manage to get on my face and bite me, before I could get stopped.  I close the shield all the way now and open the vents instead! 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

IceCold4x4

There is nothing more terrifying to me than something I can your helmet at night that you can feel but not see. Almost crashed o the grants mill road on night due to a swarm of mosquito type bugs.

JBMFT

I don't like this thread, gives me the creeps...

KevinB

I took a wasp in the helmet today while mid-curve on Lock 17 Rd. @70 mph. Got me in the eyebrow and upper cheek before I could snag his ass.

Chuck A.

Quote from: KevinB on March 16, 2016, 09:13:54 PM
I took a wasp in the helmet today while mid-curve on Lock 17 Rd. @70 mph. Got me in the eyebrow and upper cheek before I could snag his ass.

I have felt your pain,,,, just last October. Eyebrow and temple. THAT SHIT HURTS!!
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

SlowRoad

Several years ago, I got a stupid hair and decided to ride in shorts because it was extremely hot.  A bumble bee to the knee cap put a quick end to that kind of thinking!!

I still have the scar.

Gam

Quote from: SlowRoad on March 18, 2016, 02:22:19 AM
Several years ago, I got a stupid hair and decided to ride in shorts because it was extremely hot.  A bumble bee to the knee cap put a quick end to that kind of thinking!!

I still have the scar.

I did the same thing at one of the Goodwin get togethers at Sipsey. I was on the klx and was wearing tall shin guards, mostly on dirt, and it was hot, so I wore shorts.  Yellow Jacket went up my pants leg and stung the crap out of me, I had to stop and drop trousers right there in the middle of the road to get him out.